My Firefighter by Lori Jean Finnila

Thursday, June 6, 2024

CTE and Domestic Violence #CTE #braincells #braintrauma #lorijeanfinnila #domesticviolence


 'Chronic traumatic encephalopathy is a neurodegenerative disease linked to repeated trauma to the head.' Mayo Clinic

Apparently the smaller hits done over a certain amount of time leads to this condition. You don't have to be hit in the head, as I've been trying to say. Your body can be jolted and still disrupt your brain leading to injury down the road.

Doing yoga I've opened up the smallest of areas that I couldn't get past with all the physical trauma done to my body. I'm grateful to have moments when I can share my knowledge what happens to our bodies when they're abused so much. The long time effects can be devastating. 

I couldn't understand, that's me in the picture above, why you couldn't see marks all over my face yet my face was so swollen on occasion after all the abuse upon me. My brain had been badly affected. The damage would show itself on me changing my appearance at any given time. I used to worry I'd die from abuse and no one would diagnose it. Now others have a chance. Now this is looked into during autopsy. This can be proven. 

I'm watching a movie "This Hits Home" at Amazon that says everything I've been trying to say. Hallelujah!!! Now we just have to get the word out. One hope is that those who are doing the hitting will realize this is deeper than what they think. The other is that people realize the choices and outcomes for victims of violence are not as they appear. Once the brain is traumatized, as myself when a teen, you're not thinking clearly - concussion, brain damage. It takes months for the first injury to heal without being affected by another subsequently. This can be rare in a repetitive abuse situation. Bless all the doctors in this movie. The long term affect of being mildly thrown around for a lifetime will affect a person for a lifetime.

I now after months of self physical therapy can think enough to see the long term effects. My mind is a bit slower and I don't recognize common spelling as I always did. I'm hopeful this will go away too.





No comments:

Post a Comment